There is a point every Asheville winter when you can’t locate the source of the draft in your home. It could theoretically be emanating from a window that isn’t secured or sealed properly. Even the thinnest of cracks can make homes unpleasant and cold, possibly resulting in:
- Cold air escaping into your home
- Larger heating and cooling costs
As per the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your regular energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with correctly sealed windows. To help limit spending and cut down drafty air from flowing into your home, it’s important to be able to distinguish where these window drafts might be coming from and why. Here are some helpful tips to find your Asheville home’s drafts and examine for issues:
- Look for gaps and fractures in strange locations of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic doors or just the usual windows with functional capabilities and use a simple visual inspection.
- Check to confirm that windows and doors are closed and latched.
- Guarantee the sealant or gasket near the operable portion of the window or door is correctly sealing.
- Check the installation by determining if the draft is coming through the window or around the window, between the window and the rough opening. A window will only operate as well as it is set up.
- Call an expert from Pella Windows and Doors in Asheville to have them perform a home energy audit.
Once you’ve recognized where the draft or air leakage is originating from, the next step is to attend to the source of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the experts in Asheville a call at 828-202-8673 with any additional questions or potential replacement needs.